Recently, Kerry Washington appeared on the cover of Allure magazine all freshed face. When asked about the photo, she admitted that she did wear some makeup for her no makeup look. I applaud her for being honest (but seriously, I would think there would be some makeup when you are talking about a magazine cover shot). I embrace and welcome a little help to appear au natural and with the recent arrival of my little one, I have been practicing a no makeup makeup look (even in the hospital!). The key is even skin tone and highlighting certain features. Here are my staples for creating a bare, but not really bare, face look.
1. Tinted Moisturizer. Create an even skin tone while moisturizing. I love Laura Mercier’s tinted moisturizer since it also has SPF protection.
2. Cheek Stain. To achieve a slightly flushed and rosy cheek look, I reach for Tarte which can serve double duty as a lip stain.
3. Cream Eye Shadow. I don’t get much sleep these days so I like to apply a dab of a creamy white eye shadow in the corner of my eyes and on my brow bone to brighten them up. I particularly like Nars Cosmic Girl to get the job done.
4. Mascara. I can’t go anywhere without mascara so naturally it made the list. A swipe of Lancôme’s Hypnose (I love the brush applicator) does the trick.
5. Brow Pencil. Last, but certainly not least, is applying a brow pencil to fill out the eyebrows. I started using a brow pencil a couple of years ago and it kendo subtle yet dramatically changed the face. My favorite is a mahogany colored pencil by Bobbi Brown.
For other tips on how to get ready in a jiffy, check out my Fabulous in 15 Minutes post.